Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Google Sites for Webquests

Just realized I didn't post anything when I completed my webquest! Anywho, Google Sites is a pretty cool tool...and you can create just about any type of website you can think of. I had heard that Google Sites could be used to create webquests and had good intentions of creating one during the school year, but as we all know....there is very little time during the school year for anything "extra". This class gave me the chance to explore & figure out how to set up my site and gear it exactly towards my students and their ability levels. It did take some finagling and I did become frustrated a couple of times...but what is learning if there isn't a bit of frustration & determination to get it right!
Though my site is mainly going to be used for independent research for my students. I plan on using it to intro the topic as there are many resources for my students under "Links" and I can model how they are to use the links to complete each task. I loved that there is a way to add documents to the page so that students can print out their own materials rather than rely on me for extra copies. After I created my documents page, it was as simple as uploading different worksheets & organizers that I currently have on my flashdrive...LOVE IT!
Being that I intend on using this as a lesson, I quickly added a page for standards & listed both NYS & Common Core by simply copying & pasting into the text box of the Standards page template.
One of my favorite parts is that I was able to embed a rubric I created in Google Docs so that students can keep track of how they are doing, and what they need to do in order to get a certain grade. Rubrics help keep students on track & accountable for their learning. There is also a page for a quiz that the students need to take at the end of the activity.  Currently the quiz is unlocked if you would like to check it out....otherwise it will be locked during the school year until the kids have finished all the tasks. Finally, I also incorporated a task list w/due dates as well as posted the due dates on a calendar which is also embedded on the first page of the Site.
Overall, I loved the process, and I think I have figured out most of the kinks I came across when setting up my first site. I def. can't wait to get started on at least a handful more...

6 comments:

  1. Lauren,
    The one thing that we must do is share our webquests and also re-use them. If you got together with say 5 middle school sp-ed teachers. If you all did one modified webquest each. You would be golden and they are also reusable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Andy...now we just need to get some teachers on board! BTW do you mind sharing the Teacher Report doc you created? I think it is invaluable,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to sound corny, but you have a great sense of voice in your writing!! I enjoy reading your blog!! Your webquest looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hear your excitement about using this new project you created for your classes. You have thought of so many great ways to teach them all bundled in one neat "green" package. I loved your enthusiasm! I get frustrated too, but you clearly worked through the bugs. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic! I think webquests are a great teaching tool that can really help students develop analytical and critical thinking skills. You did a great job developing the lesson and organizing the information for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your webquest. I can really see it being very useful for you and the students.

    ReplyDelete